Here Comes the Rain

Wednesday morning we went to St. Luke’s and facilitated a class on teamwork and communication. It went very well with both sessions; we saw improvement in students of both classes throughout the day. The doctors, especially one, were particularly impressive. We had worked with the exceptional doctor on our previous trip. She speaks English very well, but seems reluctant to do so. I think because she is shy. She has been very welcoming and eager to learn.

Today we were running cases with the doctors as team leaders and she ran through a case. It had some rough spots but was far from imperfect. However, as we finished, she asked me if we could run through it again. She was unsatisfied with her performance and rather than wait until tomorrow, she wanted to get it right.

I was impressed. This country has many problems and while the population is resilient, I think that there is somewhat of a fatalistic point of view among many people here. The doctor, however, wants to buck the trend and improve as much of the system as she can. Her patients will be better for it.

When we went for our afternoon class, we found the power out in the hospital. This was the second day in a row that this had happened. I asked the Director what had happened and he said that the generator had broken down after being used the first day. It had been fixed during the night but the Director was told that the generator needed a rest, so they used a backup generator in the morning. By afternoon, the backup generator had broken down and now the hospital was without power again. We were planning on holding night classes for the doctors and nurses who work the overnight shift, but without power he said it was pointless for us to come. It was pretty heartbreaking to see the director explain this as I could feel his frustration. He said that he believed the generators would be working in the morning.

We left and had dinner. Most everyone had retired to the guesthouse early as we knew that the morning would bring an early start to a long day. Around nine p.m., rain started and quickly became a huge thunderstorm. While it had rained a few times since we had been here, it was nothing like this. The words “tropical depression” and “hurricane” come to mind. The rain roared on the roofs of the guest house. It went on for over an hour. I was worried that there might be flooding and we would have to wade through a temporary river on the way to the hospital in the morning. As I fell asleep, the rain had slowed to a much softer beat on the roof.

Posted in 2013 June, Haiti, St. Luke's Hospital

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *